Windows 10 introduced a new feature called Compact View. The idea is that you can view your files in a more compact way, but it’s not clear how to enable this feature on Windows 11.
You may be wondering how to activate Compact View in Windows 11 File Explorer. Let’s have a look at a few different ways to activate it. For all kinds of PCs, Windows 11 has a brand-new File Explorer with more contemporary appearance and improved controls. Microsoft adjusted the space between items in File Explorer to make using Windows 11 on touch-based devices more comfortable. Although this update makes it simpler to deal with files and folders, it is not well received by all users. Larger gaps between items make little sense on ordinary laptops and desktop PCs, therefore people often question how to activate compact view in File Explorer in Windows 11.
When you’re finished, Windows will instantly make the adjustments and decrease the space between items in File Explorer. File Explorer or the whole system do not need to be restarted.
How to Use Folder Options
Another method to enable the compact view in File Explorer in Windows 11 is to follow the steps below.
- Using your chosen method, open File Explorer.
- Select Options from the three-dots button on the toolbar.
- Switch to the View tab in the new window.
- Mark the option “Decrease space between items” with a checkbox.
- To save the changes, click OK.
There’s no need to restart File Explorer since Windows 11 takes effect immediately.
In the Registry Editor, enable Compact View in File Explorer.
Finally, a simple change in the Windows Registry may activate the tiny Explorer mode in Windows 11.
- In the Run dialog, press Win + R and type regedit.
- HKEY CURRENT USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced is the location to look for. You may copy the path and put it into Registry Editor’s address box.
- Locate the UseCompactView setting on the right side of the window and double-click it.
- Change 0 to 1 in the value data. Change the value data from 1 to 0 to deactivate the compact view in File Explorer.
- To save your changes, click OK.
- Close all File Explorer windows before reopening them.
You’ve completed the task!
Registry files that are ready to use
Using ready-to-use registry files, you may automate the procedure outlined above. With a single click, you may activate or disable compact view in File Explorer in Windows 11.
- This link will get the ерy registry files in a ZIP format.
- Unpack the files at a location that is convenient for you.
- Confirm changes in the registry by opening the “Enable compact mode in File Explorer.reg” file.
- Open the “Disable compact mode in File Explorer.reg” file to restore the default settings.
The files above make modifications to the Windows registry, specifically the UseCompactView value. Any of the two files may be opened in Notepad to examine a route to a value and the value data it sets.
That is all there is to it. You now know how to activate or disable compact view in Windows 11 File Explorer.
Please help us.
Winaero is completely reliant on your help. Use these choices to assist the site keep providing you interesting and helpful information and software:
On August 26, 2021, Taras Buria posted in Windows 11 a comment.
Taras Buria is a fictional character created by Taras Buria.
Taras is here to cover news about Microsoft and the rest of the world, but he favors Apple at times. You may follow him on Twitter to keep up with what he’s up to.